Some of the valuable contributions of India to the world are listed below.
- The decimal number system of place value 10 was invented by Indians.
- Indians were the first to use Zero as a numeral.
- The present place value system was invented by Indians.
- Algebra, Trigonometry, Geometry and Calculus originated in India.
- The Binary number system which is used in modern computers and digital devices was invented in India.
- The largest numbers the Greeks and the Romans used were 106 whereas Indians used numbers as big as 10*53 (i.e 10 to the power of 53 ) with specific names as early as 5000 B.C. During the Vedic period.
- The value of “pi” correct to 5 decimal places was manipulated by Aryabhatta and he was the first scientist to declare pi as an irrational number. However the value of “pi” correct to 31 decimals has been encrypted in ancient Indian Vedas long before the invention of Aryabhatta or the Greek.
- Budhayana explained the concept of what is known as the Pythagorean Theorem today. He discovered this in the 6th century, which was long before the European mathematician, Pythagoras was born.
- Newton’s theory of relativity was known to Indians 1200 years before Newton was born.
- Astronomy and Cosmology studies originated in India.
- Chess was invented in India.
- The game of snakes & ladders was created by the 13th century poet saint Gyandev. It was originally called ‘Mokshapat.’ The ladders in the game represented virtues and the snakes indicated vices. The game was played with cowrie shells and dices. Later through time, the game underwent several modifications but the meaning is the same i.e good deeds take us to heaven and evil to a cycle of re-births.
- The world’s first university was the Takshila University which existed during 700 BC.
- Ayurveda is the earliest school of medicine known to mankind. The father of medicine, Charaka, consolidated Ayurveda 2500 years ago in India.
- Sushruta is regarded as the father of surgery. Over 2600 years ago Sushrata & his team conducted complicated surgeries like cataract, artificial limbs, cesareans, fractures, urinary stones and also plastic surgery and brain surgeries. More than 300 different surgeries were performed and nearly 120 surgical instruments have been used before 2600 years itself.
- Usage of anesthesia was well known in ancient India medicine. Detailed knowledge of anatomy, embryology, digestion, metabolism, physiology, etiology, genetics and immunity is also found in many ancient Indian texts.
- The art of Navigation & Navigating was born in the river Sindh 6000 over years ago. The very word ‘Navigation’ is derived from the Sanskrit word NAVGATIH. The word navy is also derived from the Sanskrit word ‘Nou’.
- Bhaskaracharya rightly calculated the time taken by the earth to orbit the sun hundreds of years before the astronomer Smart. His calculations was – Time taken by earth to orbit the sun: (5th century) 365.258756484 days.
- Until 1896, India was the only source of diamonds in the world (Source: Gemological Institute of America).
- Extraction of Zinc from Zinc ore was known to Indians 4000 years before the British invention.
- Buddhism and Jainism originated in India.
- The ancient Indians had given the world the idea of the smallest and largest measuring units of Time. The smallest is the 34,000th of a second (krati) and the largest is the 4.32 Billion years (mahayuga).
- Yoga was invented in India.
Get to our facebook page: http://www.facebook.com/pages/Mysteries-Explored/248857708466342
Posted in: Facts